Tuesday, July 29, 2008

clackity-clack

Still have to schedule with Geo to view footage...but I am working on the script - specifically on how to open the film. It has to be quick and concise and get the story out in a way that is enticing to the veiwer.

Right now, I'm hedging my bets a little and plan on using some of the one-on-one interviews (quick edits) as a jumping off place. Followed by folks randomly (overlapped narration over titles/stills) reading off questions from actual quizzo events.

The lessons I've learned from working on SKALD stories is really coming in handy. In that competition, you only have 7 minutes to tell a complete story. It's a constant battle to edit (and re-edit) to clarify and condense the story. You don't want (or have time for) a lot of "drag" in a film this short. You need to cherry pick and highlight the details that make the story vibrant, fun and interesting. The more I hone the script now, the less time we'll waste in editing (the most time-consumming work to be done.)

In the meantime, I thought I'd attached this short little vid that Geo made right after we got back. This is one of the reasons why we had trouble shooting in the RV. It was like riding a rollercoaster at times (especially in that back bedroom.) Most docs that have RVs in them, I'm finding that in almost all cases, the solution was to shoot when the RV was at rest. Wish I had known that before the trip!

Shooting for those films took place after they were done driving for the day or had stopped/parked for sightseeing/lunch/etc. Which makes me wish that we had done a little more of that at the gas-up/rest stops. We didn't want to add to our 16 hr travel time (and to be honest, the DSP folks were still getting used to having a camera on them. )

One reason most doc have hours and hours of footage - is that it takes a long time for folks to relax and be themselves in front of a camera. Thanks to machinations of Mr. Aston Kuchner and the gentlemen of JACKASS, nowadays, everyone is concerned of being "punked" or looking the fool on video.

I'm not calling out who's "surfing" in back. We all pretty much looked that miserable when we were back there trying to get some shut-eye.

In other news, Ravin was asking about a title for this film so he could put it in his liner notes for his forthcoming CD. I've been dashing my brain, but I still think it's too soon to settle on one. Much like a nickname, I think it will present itself when the time is right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a odd thing going on now where non-professionals know how to behave when cameras are rolling. I put this down to the proliferation of "reality" TV. Ordinary folks have camera savvy.
CIP: A friend of mine is being followed around by a camera crew for a certain network reality show. (I won't say which one but except my buddy had to swap his wife)
Pete was being filmed playing his usual gig in a bar in Volo, Il.(btw,he had never set foot inside this place before). Average citizens know how to give a reaction during the "crowd" scenes by whooping it up a little more and not looking into the camera. Not only that, but later, while Pete was outside doing a interview, I noticed these same people were aware of the film crew enough that they knew where to stand to be out of frame. Hell...they probably knew the phrase "out of frame"!
We have lost our innocence.
-Ravin-