Wednesday, October 1, 2008

plug

Mere weeks ago, our good friend, Dave Lykins wrote an amazing original song for the documentary. He'll also be fleshing out the rest of the incidental music once we have a rough cut...some months from now.

Patience. It's not just for breakfast anymore.

First off, I have to tell you, Dave is one of the original good guys. He's a badass. Ex-Navy, former self-defense instructor and all around sweetheart. Not to mention the talent. An actor and singer/songwriter who pairs gut-grabbing lyrics with sweet melodies.

When I asked Dave to write a song for this project, even though he was already knee-deep working on a new album, he immediately said yes. I would like to note that our first brief discussion about the RV trip fostered ideas for possible tunes such as "What's That Smell."

Fortunately, that one didn't quite pan out. Instead, he penned a lovely little rockin' ditty called "Come Along" that amazingly captured the fun vibe of the RV trip and the Quizzo Finals...even though he wasn't there in person. More astonshingly, he wrote it in a very short window to meet his schedule for an album he was gearing up to record in Nashville.

That album was just released and is delightful.

It's called Blurry White Guy and you can check it out at CD Baby or on Itunes! It's one of those CDs you want to put on, crash out on a hammock/sofa/lazy-boy and crack open a beer....or a nice refreshing lemonade!

I prefer the beer.

Although, I've been craving a lemonade. Hmmph. Curious.



Not only do I recommend the album as a whole, I'm thrilled to say that "Come Along" made the cut! It's the 8th track on the CD. My only disappointment (self-inflicted) is that when Dave asked for the name of the documentary so he could include it in the liner notes, I didn't really feel like we had one yet. It's a small thing, but yeah, I wish the awesome-title gods had seen fit to grace me with some inspiration, but they ignored my frantic pleas. Ah...missed opportunity...we meet again!

Anyway, I just wanted to plug Dave's album. And for the record, "Come Along" (as much as I adore it...and I really freaking adore it) isn't even my favorite song on the album! If you are a fan of the likes of Steve Earle or John Hiatt - or any songwriters that leave a little meat on your ribs - do yourself a proper and check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely review. I'll be at Town Hall on the 8th. Perhaps you and the rest of the Quizzo team would like to join me for a spirited rendition of "Come Along"? You are, after all, my muse(s).
And for the record, the working title was "Guess That Smell".
I have not given up on it.
-ravin-
And anudder thing. I have a distribution deal through Burnside Distribution in the works and Miles of Music will have the CD for sale on their awesome website. All this means I will now wallow in near obscurity instead of complete obscurity.